While formulating a strategy for the PEF, the Board has adopted a flexible approach. The salient features of the strategy are:
- Provision of better quality education through the private sector to low income households.
- Technical assistance in the form of teacher training and professional development for privately managed schools charging less than Rs.400/- as fees.
- Support schools located in less affluent areas.
- Preference for female education;
- Introduction of new instruments for financial assistance on per child enrolled basis.
- Education vouchers for households in slums/katchi abadis, to enhance enrolment and impart quality education.
- Institutions with good track record and results to be considered for monetary a wards/financial assistance for growth in terms of quality education and enrolment.